Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fishing poles welcome... Shoes always optional!

Some locals call it Wright's Lake, Bradenbaugh Bay, or even "The Pond," Whatever you call it we are blessed to get to call it home!

Wright's Lake as it is known to the locals is located here on the Wright Farm, the 130 acre farm where Nate & I live. Here is a little history lesson on the pond:





On November 7, 1957 a group of Highway Administration Engineers met to discuss plans to build "Site 2A" now known as Wright's Lake. The plan was to build a pond as a Federal Flood Control Pond to prevent Little Deer Creek from overflowing its banks and destroying crop ground throughout Harford County.




On October 12, 1961 they began building the flood wall. The little boy in the picture is likely my dad who remembers seeing the "men and the machines," that day.


In October 1962 after a series of rainstorms the pond began to fill...

 Fast forward 50 years and it will be the spot where Nate & I say our I do's... ( This is the view from our wedding site!)

This is where I caught my 1st fish, and spent endless Sunday afternoons cooking hot dogs on our family "vacation" days. With the commitment a dairy farm brings there were not a lot of opportunities to go away on vacation so we made vacation days to the pond.
There is no place on earth where you feel closer to heaven then watching the sunrise over that hillside curled up in a duck blind with your dad or your two best guy friends ( Nick & Brian).




 Grandpa Vaughan was famous for his schematic drawings for picnics and events... I guess a little rubbed off.... This is the current artist rendition of the ceremony cite.


Every time I walk this field I find a 4 leaf clover... A tradition passed down from Grandpa Waite Vaughan.. They say he could find them as he was walking without looking and it is a trait my sisters and I have inherited....
 

 Whenever I go to the pond I just can't help myself to play in the water.... Question is will they be able to keep me out of it in a WHITE DRESS! UH OH!

Here on the flat is where the tent for the reception will be set up... It's 150 steps from the water....

Here on the Road to Roland fishing poles are always welcome... and shoes are just optional!

Get excited it's going to be a great day!

Love,
Amy & Nate


No comments:

Post a Comment