Monday, May 7, 2018

My friend Cora


In honor of Mother's Day... 
This is Cora Garrett Wright. She's my friend. We never met, she died in 1956 here at 2950, but we share something pretty special. We are the Mommas of 2950. When the Bluebird came home  4 glorious years ago she was the first baby here in 90+ years. Cora raised 2 earthly babes Melvin and Annetta who I grew up knowing, and her angel babe Anna Mary who lived 4 earthly days. 

She left the gift of her words in 1935 keeping a yearly diary that is a favorite morning coffee read. It makes me feel connected to the past here and makes me realize she was a way better housekeeper than me! Through this I also got to know here in a different way as the pages traverse I watched a mother raise her children, while loosing her own. 

She left me other gifts as well. The pock marks on the kitchen wall where here cook stove scorched it and the tiny cut out in the pantry door so that it could swing past the cook-stove foot. 

The bluebells that pop up every spring at the first warm snap near the spot where she had her garden gate. 


And the stained glass window that overlooks the high fields where she grew her tomatoes for market. 
Over a 100 years have passed since her babes traversed these hills and valleys, and there are days as I am weeding, or tending the chickens that my mind wanders to my friend Cora. It is a goal of mine to make this a place she is still proud of, and it is  a honor to share the blood sweat and tears of motherhood in the same beautiful patch of dirt as my  friend.

To the mother's of blood and the mother's of choice we rejoice in you this Mother's Day!
~AVR

No comments:

Post a Comment