Sunday, December 11, 2016

30 Days Clean

 I loathe laundry! At the beginning of November between 2 loads our dryer up and bit the dust. We've limped it along for 11 years and it was just time to let it go!
We have a 30 day rule with appliances. If they die we have to do without it for 30 days. If we simply can't live without it we replace it otherwise bon voyage.
A few years back when the washer died I tried 30 days of handwashing clothes. It is my least favorite homestead memory and on day 30 I called the repair man and if he had asked for my 1st born child I would have been open to negotiations.

Not having a dryer requires planning. You have to plan out your wardrobe, and stalk the weather. It didn't get above freezing the past 4 days so drying laundry outside was a no go.

You also HAVE to do laundry EVERY day or else the mass of it will consume every livable space in your home. The day Jesus comes back I'll be doing laundry, but hey maybe he'll fold!

 Also you need 2 sets of sheets because sometimes even if you hang it in the morning it won't be completely dry by bed. And when the sacred "blankie" needs a tubby you stoke the fire and make sure he dries ASAP!
 My favorite gadget is this guy here. It's a bucket lid with holes with clothespins strung through. It's hooked to a carabiner and hangs. It's perfect for socks, undies, and dish rags. It holds a lot!
 I'm also embracing that just because you wore it doesn't mean it's dirty. Jeans and towels do a couple tours of duty before they hit the wash. They require a Loooonnngggg dry time so I like to make it worth it.
Laundry gets done in the evenings at bed time, hung up and dried during the day and then sorted and folded the following bedtime. Sometimes God has bigger plans. I was a total slacker with laundry it would pile up for a week or more. So perhaps this was divine intervention to center me. 
And to be honest.... I don't totally hate it anymore. It's become part of the daily routine and in small doses it's not half bad.

In Love, Light, and Laundry 
♡AVR 

No comments:

Post a Comment