Sunday, February 5, 2017

Good food fast?

There's a chain restaurant that boasts "good food fast." In my journey back to health we as a family don't eat much processed food. Other than an apple or banana not much clean food is fast food!
So... I've spent the weeks of the new year creating and canning some "fast food."
 We had our 4th deer of the season head to freezer camp so with RKR'S help we broke it down to grind.
 As I was canning last summer I had a collection of odds and ends. Either jars that didn't seal or leftovers that wouldn't make a canner load. I had popped them in the freezer and yesterday got them all out for our project.
 RKR is an expert at the vacuum sealer and at 3 makes all our bags to seal in. Since it's cheaper to buy the rolls of vacuum seal we make our own bags.
 With my helper we hand ground 18 lbs of vennison. We used 5 lbs and all our canning scraps plus some frozen peppers and some canned tomatoes to make 2 batches of chili.
It took ALL afternoon, but I was proud that EVERYTHING in that chili came from my storage! Nothing that had been purchased within the last month and 1/2! I felt that was deserving of a celebration beer!
 I'm learning  my new canner. The sounds, the right burner, the right fire setting... but for 1 hour and 30 minutes I was glued to the dial.
We ended up with 8 quarts and 7 pints of chili.
Once canned you can just pop of the lid and heat and eat! That's good food... fast... well sorta fast lol.

Yours in love, light, and two-piece caps at 10lbs pressure.
~AVR

No comments:

Post a Comment