Sunday, January 29, 2017

God's Goodwill

Yesterday I scoured the Goodwill... I needed new shoes, LBR needs barn boots, RKR's school shoes are getting snugger by the day.

 I LOVE thrift store shopping, but as I rummaged there was a piece of me that ached for what if I could just go to Target? What if I could ignore price tags?

Something called me to check out the book section. There before my eyes was this book for 97 cents.
 My book club is reading a book about a depression era midwife in Appalachia Cole Country... so I thought this might be a neat little addition to the discussion.
So this afternoon I stoked the woodstove and percolated  coffee I got at the grocery auction for $1.00 a case in the .99 percolator I got at Salvation Army. Sitting at my Mammal's dining room table surounded by hand me down chairs I began to read. 
This book is a compilation of first hand vignettes and photography from depression era folks.
I'm not ashamed to say I wept! Tears streaming down my face, into my coffee... 
 Today like the mothers in this book I had used my last cup of flour, I had canned dried beans for future dinners. I had just payed bills, stressed about my budget, worried about money.  I found commonalities in their worry, but quickly snapped back...
With God's help I'll never truly know where they've been! There are boxes of hand me downs in the attic, a paycheck coming in 2 weeks, good heat, running water, freezers full of meat, and a pantry with enough we could stretch some time.

There are lean times, but I'm blessed with abundance!

I still feel weepy, but I can learn alot from the pages, stories, and spirit of these folks.

I plan to work harder on a garden this year. Be even more self reliant! CAN MORE PEACHES! Get a few more hens! Stack the woodpile higher... and maybe... bury a few dollars in a mason jar out back because well????

I did get shoes... but... somone knew I needed a reminder of my blessings. To recenter... it was God's Goodwill at the Goodwill...

In love and light
♡AVR

No comments:

Post a Comment