Sunday, January 15, 2017

I'm no scientist... but...

Growing up with pigs and chickens there was always a bucket in the sink for scraps. It just was one of those things... when the Homestead Engineer and I got together it was just one of the things that made him shake his head at the new life he was entering with this wild eyed lady. Food scraps always had another life... one more job.

With the 2 ladies we are rich in pizza crusts, half eaten apples, and banana peels.
 We use a bucket with a lid. Ice cream pails, popcorn buckets, and pretzel jugs make great collectors. If it ever went in the fridge it's probably going to see the compost at some point. I'm enough of a compost nerd I even bring home my apple cores and banana peels from my lunch.
I compost junk mail, and at the store if I get a choice I always ask for paper and it gets composted too!
Shredding junk mail is very therapeutic. I rip it up into stips. The rule of thumb is if it isn't shiny paper it can go in.
The hens make a regular ahh hemm "contribution" when I clean out their house every few weeks.
They also do their part at keeping the compost turned and aerated.

So is it worth it? This pile of rotting everything?
This is spinach in the greenhouse right now planted in miracle grow potting soil...

This is spinach planted the same day that's in the greenhouse in an 80% compost 20% potting soil mixture. I'm no scientist... but... I think this speaks for itself! 
So nows the time to load up the compost bin so they'll be plenty for starting seeds this spring.

Yours in love, light, and decomposition
♡AVR

No comments:

Post a Comment