Sunday, January 8, 2017

Pizza the Roland Way

Today was cold... like the thermometer on the porch never saw 20 kinda cold. It was a good day to worship the woodstove and have Pizza for lunch.

Take out just isn't in our budget and it's a huge splurge for us since a single take out order usually is about $30.00 and 10% of our food budget in one greasy meal just doesn't appeal to us.

For the most part we eat as clean as possible with as much from scratch as we can. It's been a big part of my journey back to health after a demanding pregnancy with LBR and an asthma crash back early summer.

This pizza recipe was gifted from Miss Grace one of the most talented bakers I've ever shared kitchen time with. Over the years we've evolved the recipe and technique 2950 style and as The Homestead Engineer says "we've never had a bad pizza."

 I start with 1.5 cups whole wheat flour, 1.5 cups of white flour, and 1 tablespoon sugar. I've tried all whole wheat and it doesn't rise well and taste a bit lets say earthy... I buy all in bulk at an Amish grocery near Quarryville PA.
 To that I add 2 teaspoons of yeast. Easy now... I know you're thinking yeast has to be mixed with water... nope. Mixed into the dry mix it rises nicely and this allows me to make pizza kits that all I have to do is add warm water too. That way Homestead Engineer can whip up pizza whenever.
 It all gets "mix mixed" as RKR says with a dash of Italian Seasoning.
 Then you add enough warm water to make a nice doughy ball.
 Spray a metal bowl with cooking spray and then even the dough gets to worship the woodstove for a bit.
 After an hour or so youre ready to go! I made sundried tomatoes this summer and found the infused oil is great for oiling my pizza stone. Oiling with olive oil makes the bottom of your pizza crunchy. You can also make the dough and then freeze it and then in the morning get it out, spray your bowl and let it rise. It'll be ready to rock and roll come dinner time.
 Next, put a little oil on your hands and spread out your dough. This recipe makes 2 pizzas. This is the sauce I made crap tons of over the summer.
I buy mozerella and pepperoni in bulk at the discount grocery. When I'm free on time I love homeade mozerella, but in the words of Ina Garten "if you can't make locally sourced raw milk mozerella from range fed heritage breed dairy cattle, store bought will do."

Sorry there are no after pics... the lack of pictures speaks for the deliciousness of the outcome.

Pizza is on the menu rotation every weekend. I've also found it'super fun to do when we have company. Everyone gets a pie tin and we set up a toppings bar. My nephew raves about Pizza Parties here.

Try it out!  What's your favorite "take in not take out" recipe? I'd love to hear!

Yours in love, light, and woodstove warmth!
♡AVR

No comments:

Post a Comment